Thursday, September 6, 2007

Blackberries and Bunnies



Last night I went blackberring at the park alongside Jerico Beach. I went last year so it was nice to do it again, it's now offically a Louise September Tradition.

Hot blackbery and Apple crumble is one of my favourite Autumunal treats. I can't wait to cook it up into a deep sweet mix and freeze it for a rainy sunday afternoon.
In my hour of blackberry picking I smiled to myself at two little reminders the blackberries kindly shared with me...

I marched up to the blackberry bush in great anticipation and immediately saw lots of shriveled up pods - oh no i thought, my shoulders slumping in extreme disappointment, I've left it too late, there's nothing here at all. I stayed glued to the spot though and after a minute or two I spotted one blackberry here, another there..and before I knew it I had quite a collection. Funny how sometimes you have to look a little harder, or just stand still for a moment to see what's in front of you.

The other thing that made me smile is that the fat, plumpest, juiciest berries were always just out of my reach!!! I got a few cuts and scars trying to reach for them but decided to be happy with my lot!!

I didn't take a picture of the berries because as I looked up - look what I saw instead 4 little bunny rabbits nibbling on the grass!! Who knew there were rabbits near the beach! I love Vancouver. I don't know many places where you could spend an evening like this 15 mins from the city centre.

1 comment:

d d a m said...

I do hope you will still have some left in december! i will make the custard xx

About Me

I'm 27, living in the most beautiful city in the world that I've now been calling home for 2 years -- Vancouver. I work in communications, love to write, talk, dream and soak up as much of life as I can. This blog is to capture all things bright and beautiful and remind myself to look for the bright and beautiful in every day.