Sunday, April 1, 2007

I want to try this!

To follow on my posts about wine, I've just found a recipe on The Sunday Times website that might just be my ultimate wine tasting! I am going to try it over Easter. I'll report back.

Chocolate and wine may sound like a strange combination, but this alcoholic drink, laced with everyone’s favourite ingredient, is surprisingly delicious. We tried out different brands of chocolate for this recipe, and Valrhona really was the best. The others were either too sweet or too bitter, but each to their own taste. Experiment with different types (milk or plain) and see which you prefer. Mas Amiel Maury (£10.99, from Nicolas; 020 7727 5148) is a strongish, sweet red wine that goes beautifully with chocolate.

Serves 4

1 bottle Mas Amiel Maury

75g Valrhona Tanariva (33% cocoa)

185ml skimmed milk

Bring the wine to the boil. Carefully set it alight and allow the flame to burn off. Continue boiling until the liquid becomes syrupy and reduces to about 150ml.

Grate the chocolate or finely chop into small pieces and put to one side in a saucepan. Bring the milk slowly to the boil, pour it over the chocolate and stir.

Add the reduced wine to the chocolate milk, heat and froth using a whisk or hand blender. Serve immediately.

No comments:

About Me

I'm 27, living in the most beautiful city in the world that I've now been calling home for 2 years -- Vancouver. I work in communications, love to write, talk, dream and soak up as much of life as I can. This blog is to capture all things bright and beautiful and remind myself to look for the bright and beautiful in every day.