Sunday, April 1, 2007

Wherever you are, it's your friends that make your world

A big reason compelling me to blog is to share my life in Vancouver with my friends and family in England. I want more than anything to keep close friendships in spite of the distance and incredibly annoying time difference.

When I first moved, I couldn't wait for the weekends because it was my time to catch up with England. That really kept me going for a while. But then I realized that I really had to start making my weekends here about my life here. Somehow I have gone from weekends that I struggled to fill to ones that are bursting the seams with activities and outlets. I LOVE IT. It is a much better place to be but it means that I am rarely home for hour-long phone conversations with my friends at the weekend and when I am at home the chances are they are already out and about enjoying their Saturday night. It's one of the hardest things about living so far from home.

So hopefully this blog will help to fill some of those gaps and give you all a taste of my life here. [Disclaimer - I will promote Vancouver as much as possible to try and lure you to visit me!!] It will help me feel closer to you to know that you know what I am up to. I hope you like peaking into my life! Leave me comments! Start your own blogs!

I feel really really lucky to have some amazing friends. Moving to Vancouver and starting afresh really made me realize how much female friendships completely enrich my life. At first I realized this because of the huge sense of loss I felt. There was a massive void in my life for the first year I was here and I really think it was because I had yet to make new friends and I felt the day-to-day closeness of my friends in England slipping away.

Two years later, I feel incredibly lucky. I have met the most wonderful girls here (you know who you are!). It's interesting making friends as you get older. I think what you don't have in terms of history together, you make up for in terms of being a current 'match' in terms of the qualities, traits, interests I have now. But that doesn't take away or change the relationships I have at home (note I am still calling it home!) there is nothing quite like that relaxed familiarity and comfort of people who know and love you and I have seen you through copious up's and down's. Very happy to have both. You're all the best.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

We'll get you to call Vancouver "home" soon enough. ;)

Have a great looong weekend! Oh, and I'm so impressed with your running! And incredibly guilty about my lack thereof. :)

Amy said...

I recently stumbled upon your blog while searching Google for something else. I absolutely love this post because I am living away from home and have the exact same experience and feelings. Glad to see I am not alone :)

About Me

I'm 27, living in the most beautiful city in the world that I've now been calling home for 2 years -- Vancouver. I work in communications, love to write, talk, dream and soak up as much of life as I can. This blog is to capture all things bright and beautiful and remind myself to look for the bright and beautiful in every day.